Thursday, April 28, 2005

Family Of 4 Joins The Navy

An Alabama family of four has taken service to a new level; they've all joined the Navy. The mother, Seaman Recruit Angela McIntyre, 37, graduated from the 17-day Naval Reserve Accession Course on April 6. Despite the busy pace of the course, she was allowed to watch her daughter Seaman Recruit Brandi McIntyre, 18, when she graduated from Recruit Training Command last Friday. Her brother Jamie McIntyre, 19, who already graduated from boot camp, also attended the ceremony. Jamie's father, Utilitiesman Third Class Kerry McIntyre, 38, was unable to attend. He joined the Navy Reserve last year and is now deployed to Iraq. Kerry is assigned to Navy/Marine Corps Reserve Center Bessemer where he's attached to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 24. After Brandi's graduation, she got a call from her father and though lots of tears managed to tell him, "I'm a Sailor now, and it's so much better knowing that I'm a Sailor with you. Instead of thinking that you're out there alone, now I'm helping you." Brandi was the first in her family who decided to joint the Navy. Inspired by Brandi's decision, brother Jamie lost 70 pounds to meet enlistment criteria then signed on to go active-duty Navy. He said losing the weight was a family effort. "We all shared the diet," he said. "We did the low-carb thing and exercised. My father was on it pretty strict. He was on it until he left for Iraq. Their support helped a lot." Kerry, an Army veteran, was interested in serving his country again. His prior-military status allowed recruiters to waive age limitations so he could serve in the Navy Reserve without having to attend boot camp. Angela said that while the family's recruiter was helping Kerry with some paperwork, the recruiter offered a program that would allow her to go Navy. "I found out that there was a program for me, and there was no second thoughts," Angela said. "I thought, if they'll take me, I'll go in, too." The decision of this family from Locust Fork, Ala., to join the Navy got them some attention. CNN's Wolf Blitzer interviewed the family when they joined. Brandi's recruit division commander saw the interview and during boot camp referred to her as "CNN." Angela said she is often asked why she joined the Navy. It was a question she was asked again by her recruit division commander. "I joined the Navy to continue my family with my family," she said. "And, I know the friends that I make in the Navy will also be my family."
McIntyre Family